Sunday, October 20, 2013

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Student Council Saga Limited Edition Set



Finally.
I received my copy of the first box set of Utena from Nozomi Entertainment/RightStuf two weeks before the release date stated on this website. Amazing. I plan on being incredibly detailed and nit-picky with this review. This way, people interested in this series will know exactly what they're getting in to.

Revolutionary Girl Utena has long been one of my top three favorite anime series. I had the old Central Park Media DVDs for the entire series. In 2008/2009, I bought the remastered Japanese DVD sets. I would give this series a 10 out of 5. This review is specifically for the box set.

Packaging: I am really glad that Nozomi chose to use the artwork created for the Japanese DVD sets for the outer box. I find this art incredibly classy and beautiful. But, since there will only be three box sets, they will be leaving out half of the images. I wish they had chosen to use these for the individual cases as well (then we'd get all of the images, rather than just six...

Old School Anime in a Great Release
I never was a fan of Utena back in the day. The closest i ever came was the Motion Picture which gave me a headache and i switched off after 20 minutes. This is where i stood. I never thought much of the character designs as well.

However, I'm a sucker for these sort of releases, I got the Dirty Pair Collection which i enjoyed greatly as well as the remastered release of Captain Tylor TV Collection, all from Nozomi i believe. There are those shows that are legendary, that played a great part in introducing people to Anime - this show is one of these. I never got the previous DVD editions so this is a great release to the show for me.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Student Council Saga comes in a really nice package. The discs are held in three slim cases which are housed in a sturdy box surrounded in really beautiful art; the booklet is also inside the box and not in any of the slim cases. It will really stand out in your collection - not in an annoying...

Rose Signet Ring
For a limited time, if you order all three sets from Rightstuf.com, they give you the rose signet ring for free while supplies last. I ordered all three from them and received one. It is so beautiful :).

I already own the UTENA DVD set from its original 1999 release in America (Central Park Media, 1999) and the difference with this Nozomi Entertainment one is stunning. This release is basically the remastered version of the new 2008/2009 Japanese release but with the English dub/sub and translated notes. This is perfect on an HD TV.

Each frame has been digitally remastered to remove the graininess and enhance the color. The director and his team made nearly 300 corrections per episode, taking each frame and comparing them to the real Cel art to match the color as close as possible. In the past, Utena had to be "fit-to-screen" to air on TV. As a result, the full cel art was unseen and had to be cut. However, this remastered DVD release shows the full cel art,...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment