Monday, October 14, 2013

Premiers Desirs [DVD] [1983]



Not Michelangelo
I am a David Hamilton fan, and he does not ONLY do young people. As a former pro photog myself, he has a photographic skill I find marvelous, and it was very popular back in the '80s and '90s, and continues today. The graininess is somewhat passé because of today's double-digit electronic capabilities, which I also like in their milieu. Hamilton is closer to painters, where too much detail can be negative. Nevertheless, he is a master photographer. Pemiers Desirs is not Academy Award, rather it is a photographer showing his video side during a time when much video was barely quality, and lacked technological sophistication. The plots are simple, the video grainy (like most of his photos), so, like paintings, his work is not for everyone. But he captures an air of innocence well, and despite the dirty-minded few, I find his work to be appreciative, not leering. So if you aren't comfortable with some of his work, the youthful nudes for example, then avoid it. It's still...

Not so good ...
I watched this movie after "Laura" and "Bilitis".
It is the weakest of these David Hamilton movies.
I would give "Laura" 6 stars if I could.
"Bilitis" might get 3. This one is lucky to get a 2.



Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment