Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pure Barre: Lowry Lofts 2: Ballet, Dance, & Pilates Fusion Workout



Better than Lowry Lofts 1
Here is a breakout of the DVD. As with Lowry Lofts 1, the DVD says it is 45 minutes but it isn't.

Total playtime: 37:42

Warmup & Upper Body (9:40):

Barre-style knee high march
Abdominal variations (ring between ankles, from lying to v-sit, v-sit)
Forearm plank (25 seconds, some with pulses forward)
Straight arm plank lifting alternating knees to chest (20 seconds)
Side plank both sides with small pulsing twist
Pushups -
* Toe pushups, 2 counts up / down, hands wide (4)
* Knees down, single count, hands wide (12)
* Knees down, 2 counts up/down, hands narrow (4)
* Small pulses (10)
Child's pose
Tricep dips with leg variations repeated on both sides
Standing upper body work with ring for resistance
Standing side stretches
Shoulder stretch

Thigh work:

Knee dancing (leaning back, alternating hands touching floor in back, and then both hands in back)
Knee...

Difficult but enjoyable workout
I am not part of Carrie Rezabek's company, nor have I ever attended a Pure Barre class, but I am an avid supporter. I bought the Perishing Square 2 dvd as my first introduction to this method, and I am hooked. This method is extremely effective. It used Pilates, Yoga, and Ballet inspired isometric movements to bring different muscle groups, particularly abs, arms, thighs, seat, and back, to exhaustion. You will see results doing this method of exercise. I am 31 and the mother of 3 children, and I have definition in my abs, thighs, and arms that I've never been able to achieve before doing other exercises. I am always amazed when doing this dvd in particular at my heart rate and how such small movement can cause it to soar. As to the other problems other reviewers had with the dvd, it is difficult and will hurt your muscles - that's the point. If it hurts too much, then I suggest starting with Lowry Lofts 1 instead of 2, as 2 is geared more toward advanced Pure Barre...

37 minute workout, pleasantly challenging.
I love barre. It's fun even when it's tough. It's gentle yet effective. I like Carrie's style of instructing. She's calm and real and far from the hyper over-the-top style of so many. I also like that instead of merely counting reps, she gives you a time estimate (like, "only a minute more," or "just 30 seconds!") for how long you'll be in a move or position. These feature a pilates ring, but I actually sub a ball for many of the moves (the ring I have is too large for some of the moves she asks of you). The back of the DVD says it's a 45 minute workout, but it is not. Both of the Lowry Lofts DVDs are approximately 37 minutes.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment