Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Rammbock: Berlin Undead [HD]



"Remain calm."
I don't know if it's a good thing or not, but it felt like this movie was a lot longer than 63 minutes. I didn't realize it was that short until after watching the movie. As for its length being an issue, that was standard practice in the 30s through the 50s; it helped with double features, a short, and a cartoon on the billing if movies were kept to shorter viewing times. If it's a good movie, what difference does it make how long it is?
I am a fan of this genre and as such, I try to watch every zombie movie that comes to DVD.
I loved the DVD cover, when I saw it I just had to buy it. Is it a fair representation of what the movie is like? Not really. The movie was seen less at eye level than is depicted on the cover; it's an interesting perspective to take for a zombie movie. Most of the story takes place in confined spaces: an apartment complex with a courtyard. The two main characters go from one confined area to another (despite what it says on the DVD case; they...

One Last Embrace...
RAMMBOCK (aka: SIEGE OF THE DEAD) is a brilliant little "infected-zombie" film from Germany. At a mere 1hr in length, RAMMBOCK gets right into the action w/ a small group of survivors trapped in an apartment complex. A mysterious infection is turning those bitten into mindless, foaming-mouthed, killing machines. This movie has two major strengths going for it: 1- The characters, though in a panic, are not stupid, and come up w/ some innovative ideas in order to escape / survive. 2- There's a central theme of humanity within the carnage-filled chaos, making things more believable and heart-breaking, not just shocking. RAMMBOCK is one of the best zombie movies I've seen in a while. Fans of the genre should definitely see this one...

Pleasant surprise!
I really enjoyed this. I'm a die hard zombie fan, which means I have sat through trash upon trash upon trash. But I can't help it. I have to sift though the chaff in hope for some wheat. And if you're a die hard zombie fan, you know how rare the wheat is.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this too. It's German, and since I'm a xenophile, I'm happy for anything that doesn't follow an exact Hollywood formula. This will remind you of 28 Days/Weeks Later, but not so much as to be a waste of time.

I like the little touches foreigners put in their films. They made the main character mostly an average guy, but also obsessive over his girlfriend. They didn't waste money they didn't have making the film expansive, but rather kept the film close and tight and quality.

And the pace was good. Not too much for the story it told (like Hollywood would have done), but definitely enough to keep your attention from beginning to end.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment