Friday, October 11, 2013

Pure Barre: Lowry Lofts 1: Ballet, Dance, & Pilates Fusion Workout



Some issues but I like the workout overall
Here is a break down of the DVD:

Total playtime: 37:27 (on the DVD they say 45 minutes, but it is not that long)

WARM UP AND UPPER BODY (9 minutes):

Barre-style knee high march
Abdominal variations with ring between thighs
Forearm plank (20 seconds)
Straight arm plank (20 seconds)
(She says 30 seconds for the planks but they aren't that long)
Side plank both sides
Pushups (she does them all with knees on ground - I modify the hands-wide version and do as toe pushups) -
- 2 counts up / down, hands wide (4)
- Single count, hands wide (16)
- 2 counts up/down, hands narrow (4)
- Small pulses (10)
Child's pose
Tricep dips (7 single count, 17 pulses)
Standing upper body work with ring for resistance
Standing side stretch
Shoulder stretch

THIGH WORK:

Knee dancing holding ring in hands (hip tucks)
Parallel leg plie on toes with ring around legs, just...

Great, but needs a little improvement
Let me start by saying I absolutely love Pure Barre...when it's done in class. I bought the Collector's Edition 8 as I didn't have time to go to class after the birth of my daughter. The DVDs are just okay. They don't give you the burn that a fifty-five min. class does. That's probably because, as previously noted by others, the workouts are only about 30-35 mins. long; not even 45, as stated on the DVDs.

I also purchased the bar, but you don't need it. A chair will work fine.

The production value is pretty low. I could shoot a better video with my iPhone, but I really don't care about that. I just want more bang for my buck in the actual workout.

All in all, not bad, but I won't buy another DVD from them.

Oddly enough, I tried posting my review on their website...nothing too negative, just a little disappointed in the length and "soreness" afterwards. They wouldn't approve it!

Great 37 minute workout.
I love barre. It's fun even when it's tough. It's gentle yet effective. I like Carrie's style of instructing. She's calm and real and far from the hyper over-the-top style of so many. I also like that instead of merely counting reps, she gives you a time estimate (like, "only a minute more," or "just 30 seconds!") for how long you'll be in a move or position. These feature a pilates ring, but I actually sub a ball for many of the moves (the ring I have is too large for some of the moves she asks of you). The back of the DVD says it's a 45 minute workout, but it is not. Both of the Lowry Lofts DVDs are approximately 37 minutes.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment