Monday, October 14, 2013

Cousin Cousine [1976] [DVD]



Tender comedy
I bought this DVD for one reason only, not knowing anything about the film: Victor Lanoux. In his 60's and 70's he made a series of TV-films as Louis Roman, an antique dealer. I love the series and especially Lanoux's presence in them. It's hard to name anyone else who creates such an atmosphere of warmth, happiness and kindness without losing his mature masculinity. He also is the moral and intellectual spine in the series. So I wanted to see him in something else. There's very little material besides "Louis la brocante" -series and this was the only one with English subtitles. I listen to French but not perfectly, so subtitles help.

In "Cousin, cousine" Lanoux still has black hair and no moustache and he looks a bit odd. The cover of the DVD didn't seem that appealing to me and the sentence "two couples one affair" made me think: "One of these stories again", so I didn't expect much. I was very happily surprised. I just loved these people - all of the actors and the way...

Right on the money!
What do a pair of shirt-tail relatives do when it becomes obvious during many family reunions, that their spouses are having a fling? This delightful character study shows us! I was thrilled to find this at Amazon.com because I have been looking for it on video ever since I saw it in a movie house over three decades ago.

By the way, it was in Region 2 DVD format, which I was able to watch because I purchased (from Amazon) the All-Region DVD player mentioned in an earlier review.

Not playable
Unless you have a non-standard US Region DVD player this DVD is an excellent coaster. But you won't be able to play it. There was no clue about this on the web, and I feel robbed.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment